Online video consumption is growing year by year, and that creates great marketing opportunities for brands. The more consumers watch videos, the higher revenues the businesses generate. Let’s take a look at video marketing statistics:
- In contrast to marketers who do not use video content, video marketers get 66% more qualified leads per year
- 54% of consumers claim that they want to see more video content from their favorite brands
- 80% of marketers state that they are satisfied by the returns generated by video content published on social media
Today, we will discuss six steps you should take to build a video content marketing strategy from scratch.
Define your marketing goals
When it comes to building a strategy, we always start with goal setting.
So before you begin working on content production, you should answer this question:
What results do you want to achieve with the help of video content in the short run and long run?
Some companies want to raise brand awareness. Others strive to improve customer loyalty. And what is your goal?
Please, be specific when answering this question. For instance, if you want to increase sales, you should put it this way: “To increase sales of X product by 20% by the end of August”.
Know your audience’s preferences
To whom are you going to market your products? Who will watch your videos?
To create killer video content, you need to have a clear understanding of who your audience is and what videos it prefers to watch. Here is what you can do get useful information:
- Run an online video content strategy survey. The best way to know someone’s opinion is to ask a direct question, isn’t it?
- Ask your social media followers to provide you with ideas of what video content they would like to see more often.
- Have you used video content to promote your brand before? Analyze the results and find out which of those videos worked the best and why.
Define a suitable tone
What tone does your target audience appreciate? Think about it and decide in what manner you should create your videos:
If you choose the right tone, it will be easier for you to promote your brand. That will allow you to reach a wider audience and achieve higher results.
Decide what type of content to create
At this stage, you need to decide what specific content you want to create. There are lots of options to choose from:
- Product reviews
- How-to videos
- Unboxing videos
- Vlog videos
- Brand videos
- Explainer videos
- Live streaming
- Animated videos
- Short films
Your choice will depend on your audience’s preferences and your marketing goals. For instance, if your goal is to educate your audience, it’s a wise idea to use explainer videos. If you want to engage and entertain people, it’s better to make live streams.
Choose channels of video content distribution
What websites and platforms your target audience use the most often? Answer this simple question, and you will know what platforms are the best distribution outlets for you.
Depending on your marketing objectives and your customers’ online behavior, you can share video content on the following platforms:
- Your website
- Video-sharing platforms like YouTube, TikTok, and Vimeo
- Social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Presentation sharing platforms like SlideShare
Just keep in mind that the perfect length of the video, as well as preferable tone of voice, varies from platform to platform. So if you want to boost your marketing efforts, you need to create different content for different platforms.
For instance, videos that you make for YouTube should be longer than videos for Instagram. Videos for LinkedIn should present your brand in a professional manner, and TikTok videos – in fun one.
Come up with catchy video titles
Sometimes it happens that companies create fantastic video content, but fail to achieve the desired effect because they do not pay enough attention to titles.
The point is that a well-written video title is as important as an email subject line or title of the blog post. If a title doesn’t include relevant keywords, if it doesn’t sound appealing – no one will want to watch the video.
Here are a few tips on how to come up with a good video title:
- Conduct keywords research. Find out what type of search queries your customers create to find content similar to yours.
- Check out titles of the videos that are trending. Leverage those trends in your video content marketing strategy.
- Take a look at the titles your competitors use. Apply their best practices.
- If you have no ideas on how to title your video, professional digital writers and marketers will help you to find the right approach to titling your videos.
Get professional assistance (if necessary)
Modern customers are picky – they will not watch low-resolution, shaky videos with annoying wind sounds. So to achieve the goals set, you should create high-quality videos.
If you want to record how-to videos or unboxing videos, you should get equipped with a good camera, microphone, stabilizer, and other essentials. In case if you want to shoot a short film, you need to get professional assistance. For instance, if you plan to shoot a hummingbird and raccoon for your creative video content, you need to hire experts in wildlife and science filmmaking.
As you can see, it’s not that difficult to build a video content marketing strategy. You just need to be attentive to your audience and watch trends.
We highly suggest you take these six steps and use creative skills. It’s a simple yet effective way to make your video content marketing strategy a success.
About the Author
Daniela McVicker is a passionate digital marketer. Daniela is interested in everything related to SEO and blogging. She contributes to Essayguard and Topwritersreview where she shares her experience and helps marketers make their names in the online world.